Saturday, October 1, 2011

Faith is required in marketing a book

Marketing a book is a very different thing than writing a book. Marketing takes a combination of making things happen, doing the "leg work", and letting go and allowing things to germinate. This "get-it-done-let-it-go" thing is a little tough at times. Germination - (people reading and passing on my book and thinking about it and telling others about it and eventually those others buy it and read it and they tell others...) is mostly invisible to the author. I get very little feedback on how people feel about my book or who is buying and reading it. When I do get feedback, I treasure it and file it away (in my "feedback file" and in my heart). I try to live on the encouragement that comes from the bits of feedback I get and the tiny amounts of evidence that my book is circulating. I try to keep plugging in doing the "leg work" and getting my book out there all the while I try to let go of the organic process underway, let go of the results. It's like driving in complete darkness and having the faith to know you are on the road. So, I plug on trying to stay positive and hopeful and keep the faith while everyday I wait for things to take off!

No comments:

Post a Comment